Thursday, September 16, 2010

The tomato story Part 2

"What are you doing?” I asked. My friend looked bewildered. "You’re not growing tomatoes my friend, you’re growing leaves.” To his protest, I quickly found a pair of gloves and some cutters. I spent an hour in his garden and chopped all the leaves off his tomato plants. When I was done, there was nothing left. Where there were sprouting bushes of green leaves before, were now bare skinny stems, as if winter had come and took everything off in an hour. He came back and yelped in horror at what he saw, "Stan! What have you done to my tomato plants? You cut everything off! It looks horrible! They’re going to die.” I told him to wait and see. In 3 weeks, when I was back at home, he called me all the way from Florida to say "Stan, I can’t believe it, I have so many tomatoes! I’ve started giving them away to the neighbors; I don’t know what to do with all of them. ”Told you so!”

No comments: