Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Brief Introduction To Sibu

We left Kuching in the evening of Day 5 and flew half an hour to Sibu. Sibu is where I was born and lived for the first 25 years of my life. It will always be in me no matter where I live.

Sibu sits at the corner of 2 mighty rivers namely the Rajang river and the Igan river. The water in the rivers is forever muddy due to the silt that washes down from deep inside the interior.

Most of the old quaint buildings that I remember when I left in 1990 are still around with just a few new ones like the Central Market at the end of this street. Somehow the roads seem to be narrower than I remembered them.

Sibu is a very chinese town with the majority chinese being foochows like myself. Sadly I predict there won't be many foochow people in Sibu in years to come because most kids are taught to speak mandarin instead, they'll lose the foochow language soon enough!

The small green building you see in front of the car park used to be a cinema before I left years ago, now its a shop thanks to uncle ho everywhere. That white building behind it on the left is the Premier Hotel. When I left Sibu it was still the tallest building in town..

..today this building is. Its the newest and most modern building you can find here. You can see it from anywhere in town so if you ever get lost which I doubt you will, just look for this landmark to find your way!

Swan is to Sibu as cat is to Kuching. Everywhere you go you can see statutes of swans. Rumour has it that when the foochows came to this place long time ago and were lost, the swans guided them to this site where they built a bustling town it is today!

How true the rumour is I don't know but it was the first time I heard about this story when I was here! Some say its just a silly story made up by some politician to justify building so many swan statutes..or are they geese?

I will be staying in Sibu for a week so I will take it easy since I'm home now and will need a bit of R&R. There's lots of family and friends to catch up with and I'm sure will be eating lots and lots of foochow foods!

13 comments:

Dabido said...

Cat City ... Swan City ... I'm waiting for 'Very Lost & Confused Kangaroo on a Bus Tour of Egypt' city. :-)

Anonymous said...

That brings back a lot of old memories... those swan statutes are pretty new since the last time I went back Sibu, there weren't any!

Anonymous said...

Walking down memory lane eh. Share with us more of your birthplace.

Jonzz said...

I like all your past few blog entries. Maybe can use as a guide if I go to Sarawak. He he!

Anonymous said...

i feel malu lah. stay in malaysia oso never been to kuching.

Wuching said...

dabido: no thats it! no more gimmicky cities i promise!

SA: u dun wanna go to woman city, they eat men there!

neo: then maybe its about time u went back again!

che-cheh: sure, nore to come!

jonzz: i'm glad u find them usefull!

ah pek: dun feel malu, i haven't been to many places in malaysia also!

Anonymous said...

Its just story created by politician's lah..the reason for the swan being adopted is based from the story of the ugly duckling, and sibu, like the ugly duckling will hopefully, tranform itself from a rather dirty town to a beautiful swan, thus the new logo of the swan

clement said...

i see my family's shop thee, daesim, used to be called 'star' ha ha. Not much tourist usually notices that shop. only the truly sibu-ian notices that shop

Wuching said...

QV: yalah..but very fairy tale also mah..so its a nice story!

clement: oh so ur family owns that shop! got discount for me onot?

clement said...

they give discount to everyone la, all you have to do is to ask.

Anonymous said...

Nice posts and pictures, keep it up!

KittyCat said...

Nice photos and description - my MIL is very proud of Sibu. I have yet to visit it...it looks nice from your pics.

Wuching said...

clement: i want spesel discount from u mah!

anonymous: thank you!

kittycat: u should visit one day..