Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Durian Binge With Unker Ho

After we got back from the Cultural Village Unker Ho was kind enough to take us around town. He took us to eat kolo mee at Kenyalang and Unker Ho bought some dodgy DVD from the uncle ho there!

Later he took us to his house to meet his family. He has a beautiful family, his wife Frances is most hospitable and his daughter is as tall as him! We also got to meet Buddy the retriever he adopted but now wanted to give away because he's been a bad boy, digging up the garden!

Unker Ho knew I love eating durians and he had a few durians he pick up while kayaking down the rivers. I waited with great anticipation while he opened them. I haven't had a decent durian in 3 years!

First it must have that smell, that strong pungent aroma that only durians have. The one that will send some people scrambling, some say it smells like shit, some say it smells like garlic and some say it smells like gas but to me it smells HEAVENLY!

Next the taste test, it needs to have plenty of soft flesh but small seed inside. Has a bit of bitter aftertaste and texture has to be just right, mashy but not watery. Savour it in your mouth for that fantastic taste before swallowing!

Mmm.. Ahh.. Thats is perfection! The best tasting durians I've not had in 3 years! Good on you Unker Ho, lets enjoy the king of fruits, the fruits of the gods and I feel godly after eating these delicious durians!

After consuming all that delicious durians one can get a little 'heaty' so it is wise to drink some salted water, from the pod of the durian fruit of course! Just put a small amount of salt in the pod, pour in the water and stirr.

Drink it and you will not get too 'heated' tonight when you go to bed. Don't believe? Ask any durian lovers and they will all vouch for me. You must drink the salted water from a durian pod and not from a glass coz then it won't work!

Yum seng Unker Ho! You the man! Thanks for your great hospitality, too bad we didn't get to kayak together but there'll be other opportunity. Be sure to come visit me in Melbourne so I can return the favour!

16 comments:

Helen said...

*sniff sniff*

Do you sniff at everything?? lol

Do you like the sweet tasting durian or the bitter yellow ones?

I love the yellow ones and I love the way its aroma linger whenever I burp! Sick! lol

Anonymous said...

Aikk must put salt? I usually drink 'plain water' from the durian pod. Still power. Hahaha

Robin Wong said...

hey wuching,
oh now i remembered unker ho did invite me for the durian session... but i was already busy with other friends that time !!!
too bad.. if not there would have been a durian cam whoring session eh?

Jo said...

WOW!! Last night, after dinner, my bf and I saw a stall selling durian and we just could not resist getting one opened and eating it there and then. Never mind it was sold at a cut throat price. That's the beauty of eating durians. It tastes so good when you are eating it with a fellow durian lover! Anytime, anywhere! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Hahah... Seems like the tradisional had be brought all the way to Aus also huh? But honestly, I don't know if it's really work or not?

sengkor said...

uih, durian season meh? i tot middle of the year one?

Ianfluenza said...

It's been 3 years since I last tasted durian too. When I went back I made sure to get myself a couple of them and I ended up eating one whole durian in one go. The heatiness got onto me later on too. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! That's really old teaching handed from Generation to Generations..drinking salted water or water from durian pod after eating the flesh

Dabido said...

I haven't had a good durian since 1972. [Showing my age!] lol :-)

Wuching said...

helen: ur my durian soul mate!

che-cheh: must put salt else no powderful!

robin: u should've came along leh!

jomel: ur another of my durian soul mate! yay! 3 cheers for durians!

SA: can u get them in texas? give it a go..

wong: of course it works! tradition so long must work wan!

sengkor: there's 2 seasons in a year for durians!

ianfluenza: hahaha..u sure like me cannot wait to stuff them down! i nearly threw up while eating them so fast!

QV: old but very effective!

dabido: i'm sure u can get them in perth but they will be frozen tho..better to eat them in malaysia so go there get some!

Francis Ho said...

It's with a heavy heart that I must inform that it's the end of the durians season here in Kuching ... *sob*

Anonymous said...

Yummy!

Anonymous said...

oi! why nnever mention i bring u eat the kix ass bbq rice in sibu? hahaha. i think durian season almost over lar... if not i cud go find some real good ones.

p/s simple american, i'm not sure about texas but i've seen imported thai durians in selected aussie supermarkets. and frozen ones in the asian groceries which must be turnin into fossils. lmao

Anonymous said...

"Next the taste test, it needs to have plenty of soft flesh but small seed inside. Has a bit of bitter aftertaste and texture has to be just right, mashy but not watery. Savour it in your mouth for that fantastic taste before swallowing!" - Wah liao! So detail makes me wanna have lui lian also. There's another thing i must have while eating my lui lian. Spread newspapers on the floor and do whatever business you are supposed to doing on the floor.

Wuching said...

fh2o: i also wanna cry too! *sob*

SA: ur missing out!

neo: yummilicious!

alex: not yet ma..still in kuching, when i get to sibu of course lah!

hijackqueen: what business do u tend to do when ur eating liu lians? i wanna join also! hahahaha

Dabido said...

Yes, they're available in Perth. I've seen them at Woolworths in Carousel. But, like you said they are frozen. They come from Thailand. [At least they don't smell!] :-)

I'd buy rambutans if they weren't $25 a kilo. :-)