Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Disappointing G-20 Summit

I must apologise for my lack of update over the weekend but there was just too much happenings in Melbourne and I didn't even have time to check them all out but I'll try to post them as best I can.

As you may or may not know the G-20 is in Melbourne this weekend and judging from what happened the last time they were here before, there were chaos and violence on the streets so I thought I want to be there this time when it happens!

All the medias were there waiting for something exciting to happen but it was such a disappointment! Not even a whimper from the protestors! Just a handful of them and so many police, not a fair game!

The police has learned their lesson well from the last G-20 so this time they are very well prepared. They blocked off a whole city block and I had to walk a big round circle to find out where the actions were but found none!

Every street is the same, barricaded and heavily guarded by police. No one can get into that area unless you stay in there where all the G-2o delicates are staying. All I can do is take pictures of the police standing bored on the streets!

Oh in case you don't know what the G-20 is about, its basically a bunch of rich people from rich countries getting together to decide how to make more money! So why people want to protest? Because of money, money, money!

However all is not lost coz at the Russell street section I did see a demonstration, it looks like the Falun Gong has taken advantage of the situation to protest against China and its communist government!

And standing their ground behind the protesters are the police, on the ready in case the situation gets out of hand which fortunately or unfortunately did not happen! So boring!

Later on that night when I got home I saw on TV that there were some altercations here and there all over town but nothing like the scales of what it was the last time around..I guess most people just couldn't be stuff protesting anymore! As for me, I found more excitement at the festivals across town. I'll post them later..

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

waahh wuching...
wad u expect.. some bomb explode somewhere isit??

Anonymous said...

Huh you want something to happen? Don't think you can run. wuahaha

Anonymous said...

Wuching Darling!!

What do you expect!!! Everyone's busy with George Bush in Vietnam that they don't give two cents shit to what's going on Down Under :P

buzz buzz

sengkor said...

bro, y dun u just hurl a stone to the police to ignite the whole thing?

Anonymous said...

Hey seng kor,

If you hurl a pebble or stone at the police, you'll be arrested right there and then. Duh~
________________________________________
Unker Wu,

Money is the evil of all roots. That's because with summits like G-19, G-20, G-21, the rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

And that Falun Gang is taking an opportunity to get free time on-air again. Tsk tsk tsk... So lame liddat can die!

Anyway, there was once I joined my university mates for a peaceful rally in protest against the hiking school fees. It was fun and scary at the same time. Fun because the experience is new. Scary because there are police officers everywhere. ;)

Wuching said...

robin: i wanna see blood & gore!

che-cheh: u so bad! i can still run fast thank you very much!

fly: hmm..bad timing!

sengkor: hahahaha..u want me taken away don't u?

titoki: wuah u so lihai! dangerous titoki!

Wuching said...

SA: they must've..coz it's just around the corner from where they were protesting!