Sunday, February 12, 2006

Chap Goh Meh Dinner @ Vegie Mum

The disadvantage of living in Australia is the lack of family members to help celebrate New Year with so a group of us decided to get together to celebrate Chap Goh Meh by having dinner at a vegetarian restaurant in Doncaster called Vegie Mum. Actually this was on Saturday but Sunday was not convenient for everyone.

Why did they call it Vegie Mum when if you translate it from the chinese name it should be and would've sound better too as Vegie Ma Ma yo!

This restaurant has won an award last year from the Asian Food Festival so I supposed I will not be dissapointed and I have big expectations from them! We decided on some dishes to go with rice bearing in mind that this is a vegetarian restaurant which means no meat or animal products but replicas of meat products are on the menu! I'm sorry some of the photos are a bit blurry coz I was not paying attention when I took them, I was busy yapping too much with my friends.

This is Assam Fish, those chunky pieces with black sides are supposed to be fish meat made from flour I think. It tasted a bit too sour for my liking but then again, I prefer the real fish!

This is the Four Coloured Special Bean Curd, why 4 coloured you asked I don't know either but it didn't taste bad though.

This is Belacan Spinach which I supposed there's no shrimp paste in the belacan but it still tasted good nonetheless. It's actually the best dish among them all.

This is supposed to be Butter Prawns but the prawns are made from flour again I think. It was quite good, not fantastic but good enough if you have to use 'fake' prawns!

Curry Chicken with potato 'chicken' pieces. I've always wondered why vegetarian or vegan restaurants have to come up with dishes to replicate meat dishes like fish, chicken or beef when they can cook excellent delicious vegetable dishes without having to 'fake' it. The curry was nice, not too hot either.


This is Thai warm salad with pretend chicken pieces and other pickled vegetables. Overall the foods weren't too bad but I would rather have proper vegetable dishes than these 'pretend' meat and fish dishes! Would I come back again? Probably will if asked to come again but I would not come voluntarily. I love a bit of meat in my foods too much. I give this restaurant 1 thumb up simply because I'm not a real fan of vegetarian foods, sorry Lily! :)

11 comments:

Robin Wong said...

Hey...
its so nice having a group of friends to celebrate chap goh meh with !!!
I am all alone here.. no friends... and definitely no family... i came to perth too early...
sadness.. i shall never buy my ticket this late ever again

5xmom.com said...

Going vegan is good for the skin! But I start to hallucinate after a week. Lobsters, juicy steaks, minty lamb chops, crabs with roe..... kept running away. BTW, I was a Buddhist once and only managed one single day of going on strict vegetarian diet (minus garlic and onion type?).

Wuching said...

robin: aiyah, come to melb to spend chap goh meh with us lah!

5xmom: i have a friend who's into strict vegan diet like what u described, she's the one who brought us to this restaurant! i wouldn't be able to stand it either, drooling over meats & seafoods...

Anonymous said...

Drools at the Belacan Spinach.

I also cannot stand food without meats.

Wuching said...

yes that was my favourite too & i need meaty dishes too! :P

Chin Kian said...

I'm not a big fan of vegetables. Don't know why I hate veggies so much. I think the reason why they come out with all these fake vege foods is to attract ppl like me. Honestly, I think the fake vege meats are pretty good but sometimes they are too oily...

Anonymous said...

i'm with u wuching!! gimme meat any day....a whole piece of steak on the grill n u'll have a happy yvy! :)

although i eat vegetarian once a blue moon, nothing beats the REAL thing. :) YES, i am carnivorous!!

Wuching said...

chinkian: u r normal, most ppl grew up not liking vegies, i was like that too! vegie meats r a joke!

yvy: hello fellow meat lover! grrr..lol!

Jeremy C said...

nice pics and yeah, i love meat too much to be a vegan!

Btw, you've been tagged :P

Cheng Sim said...

blueh.
i don't like veggies.
thts why i've never been to a Vege restaurant before.
but the shots u made was very nice.
i like it!

Wuching said...

jeremy: same here mate but tagged again! what is it this time, my deepest darkest secret? i'll go check it up soon..

cheng sim: eat your vegies so u'll grow up big & strong! open ur mouth, now here comes the spinach! yummy! lol!