Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Foochow Food MeMe

Thanks to Jeremy who tagged me so I am forced to reveal my childhood food horrors which I think will do me good to face my demons..I hope!

All the photos below were not taken by me, they were all borrowed from other sites because its quite impossible for me to take them from where I am..so here goes..1. Plain congee sweetened with sugar! Yuk! That's what I used to have while growing up but I actually liked it then but now..eww! I'd rather have congee with soya sauce!
2. Buttered rice! Yum! The rice has to be very hot when you mix in the butter or margarine, mix well and eat it!
3. "Oh Ka Na" literally meaning black olives but I don't think its a type of olives. Some people call it "Dabai" and I think they only grow in Sarawak but I'm not too sure either. Just soak them in hot water to cook them and when eating, just poke one in your mouth and suck the 'flesh' off the seed. I also like to have them with some soya sauce too. We used to keep the seeds so we can play with them before eating them later on when the kernel inside can rattle within the shell, very nice indeed!
4. Kampua Mee the Sibu equivalence of the Kolo Mee from Kuching. The most famous noodle dish in Sibu made with noodle with lard, shallots, heaps of MSG and served with few pieces of pork. Kinda think of it its quite a boring dish but somehow everyone is hooked on it. Can't figure out why though..must be the MSG!
5. "Dian Mian Hu" another foochow specialty literally meaning 'wok-side glue' because its made by pouring batter along the side of the wok to get that rubbery noodle like thingy that you use to cook with other ingredients like squids and stuffs I think..all I can remember is that its very nice and leave you sweating after a bowl of this soupy gluey dish!

6. Ok I know I 'm only required to do 5 but I just have to squeeze in the "Kompia" a type of bread kinda like a bagel but nicer. They taste best when they come straight out of the oven, you can eat them the way they are or with meat in them or in soup or even fry them. This is a definite must for anyone going to Sibu!

Phew! I did it, now its my turn to tag someone else so here's to you guys;

-Alex Allied
-Stupidest!
-Narrowband

MEME tagging instructions:

List down the last 5 (including yourself) who have been tagged and then followed by those who are GOING to be tagged (at least 3, or more) so here goes :

1. Snglguy
2. Yvy
3. Hedonistics Anonymous
4. Jeremy C
5. Me

Others I'm tagging;

6. Alex Allied
7. Stupidest!
8. Narrowband

Spread the joy!

15 comments:

Alex Allied said...

errr, what am I really suppose to do when tagged? Reveal 5 local food as well?

5xmom.com said...

Hey, those are unique foods that I haven't eaten before. About the oh ka na,I think we have something like that though. But I hate the smell.

narrowband said...

Wah lau eh! Childhood food ah? Abit the hard leh!! *thinks hard*

Need pictures summore!! WaaAa *headache*. Will take some time to 'compile' the list... (yes, 5 IS a LIST for me!).

I think i was quite a big eater, back in those days. And still eat them now. I wonder what sorta food is considered 'childhood food' for me...........................

Wuching said...

alex allied-just remember & list 5 food from your childhood, they don't have to be local and don't have to be food you like either, i'll be waiting!

5xmom-yes these r unique food requiring acquired tastes, not many ppl like them :)

narrowband-you don't need pictures, i put pictures becoz u know me lah..always need pictures wan! just 5 food u remember when u were a child, they don't have to be local nor nice either!

Anonymous said...

unique indeed. i would love to try that oh ka na n the soupy thingy. is that soupy thing something like kuay chap? i LOVE kuay chap! ;)

Wuching said...

yvy-i don't know how kuay chap taste like but those 2 u mentioned r good..trust me! :)

Anonymous said...

eh, how come u dunno? sarawak/kuching got a lot lar. :) anyway, the texture u mentioned sounds like it - a lot but the difference is that the stuff include innards n pork n all that. BEST!!

Alex Allied said...

junk food considered ah?

Wuching said...

yvy-dunno lah! maybe if i see i remember but no innards leh..

alex allied-of course lah! anything u can stick in ur mouth & swallow can be considered, just fire away!

missy naughtiee said...

Hmmm...toking abt sibu local food..lolz..i miss dian mian hu...

Che-Cheh said...

Wow I've never eaten all those before. Especially congee with sugar ?

Wuching said...

yummlicious-it was good wasn't it?

che-cheh: u should try the congee with sugar one day, u may like it!

Jeremy C said...

hmm...i love all sibu specialties, and i think i wanna go visit sibu again...hehe :)

Anonymous said...

love rice with butter with soya sauce..

Wuching said...

jeremy-most ppl like sibu food!

ylang-i haven't had that for many years thot.