Monday, January 22, 2007

Day 4: Sarawak Cultural Village

If you ever visit Kuching and don't have much time you should do what we did, visit the Sarawak Cultural Village. This place is a one stop shop to see all the different cultures that make up what is Sarawak today.

We paid RM40 for entrance but since the 1st of January and to take advantage of Visit Malaysia Year 2007, they've raised the fee to RM60! Here's a tip, if you're a Malaysian show your IC to get half price. You didn't hear this from me.

When we got there about 10.00 am it was pouring cats and dogs thus making it rather humid when we walk around the compound visiting the 7 different ethnic houses namely the Bidayuh house, Iban house, Penan house, Orang Ulu house, Melanau house, Malay house and Chinese house.

The village is situated on the foothill of Mount Santubong and the steamy heat from the nearby forest made me sticky all over. My shirt was permanently stuck to my body and the sensational of my sweaty and slippery ass cheeks rubbing against each other slippery slob while I walk is oh-so-uncomfortable!

Enough of my sweaty bums, here's the Bidayuh house where we watched a little demonstration inside. A guide was telling us story about what the Bidayuh people used to do and stuff like that which unfortunately has gone out my other ear!

We were also shown the art of all the different races like this lady here doing some weaving. I think they only do them when visitors come. When no one's around they'll stop. Its only for show mah!

One thing I noticed about the village is that they don't have enough guides around to show visitors around. We were basically left to wonder about ourselves and we just don't really know what we were looking at unless we ask whoever is in that particular house.

So yes, a guided tour would be nice but maybe they do have guided tours but we didn't know about it so we guided ourselves from house to house. I especially like this one with tall stilts. I think its the orang ulu house.

I like the melanau house also because of the tall stilts, gives a sense of security high up from the ground. I think thats what they were built for, defense against intruders in the olden days.

At the side of the melanau house we found some locals baking some sago biscuits I think. I had a taste of it but it didn't taste that great, a bit bland but I'm probably addicted to the sugary biscuits from Arnotts!

After we visited all the houses we went to watch the show in the theatre of the main building. It featured yes you guessed it, cultural dances from the different races like the Iban's Ngajat, Bidayuh's Langgi Julang and the Malay's Tarian Royong. I got them all on videos but I won't put them on coz your internet is still slow! Correct?

8 comments:

Dabido said...

The melanau house reminds me a bit of one of the buildings we had in Penang at school. It wasn't on stilts as tall as that though.

Anonymous said...

RM60 is expensive, but this place is so much better than going to the Malaysia Open :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting houses. RM60...urgghh so so so so cut throat!!!

Anonymous said...

wow...rm60 abit too much la...
do they provide receipt?

hehe..some video plzzzzzz

neo,you from Sarawak kan,so my Sarawak trip you be my guide,thanks!

Anonymous said...

Who wants a guide? Just pay for my entrance + RM100 and I'll be your Cultural Village guide. hehe. Wuch, didnt u see the signboards posted all over? There's a board at the entrance to each house describing its design and people living in it.

Anonymous said...

Wuching, you manage to finish the sago biscuits or not? You only see the baking part right?

If you see the process of sago being squashed/mashed by barefeets, I don't think you'll dare to eat them anymore.

But anyway, it has all became shit by now :P

Wuching said...

dabido: how lond were u in penang?

neo: tell me about it, damn expensive not worth RM60 leh!

SA: for RM60 it should come with a guide!

che-cheh: but u only pay RM30 nia..

mspretty: yes they do provide receiot but why u want? claim on work issit? hehe

KNB: aiyo, who got time to read signs wei!

alexallied: aiya, i choose not to see the processing part! hahaha

Dabido said...

Wuching - 3 and a half years.