Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tian Mian Gu & Bengbeng!

The thing about living in Melbourne is that I tend to miss eating my favorite foods from Sibu and one of those foods is the Tian Mian Gu or literally translated as 'wok side glue'.

There's this place in Sibu located in a hidden alley near the old bus station where they make the best tian mian gu in town. I've been coming here to get my fix ever since when I was a little kid. Good thing is they're still there after all these years. And the place and people haven't changed at all, the same dirty stove and the same chef but its the son who's running it now. I guess the father's expired a long time ago.

This is what tian mian gu looks like. Doesn't look like much but its delicious, I guess only Sibu people will know of this dish but if you ever go to Sibu, you must give it a try. Watch how they make the 'gu' by pouring batter on the side of the wok, cooking it to form that white kueh tiaw looking type of noodle thingy that you eat. Comes with some type of fungus and other ingredients I don't really know what they are but I don't care, sapu saja!

So give it a go if you have the opportunity, get a small bowl for testing first before you go for the big ones! Because its in a soup form you will enjoy it best on a cooler rainy night! You drooling oredi onot?

After the tian mian gu session my phone rang and it was none other than my Sibu blogger buddy Bengbeng! What great timing, we decided to meet up and he came out all the way from home to pick us up. Bengbeng took us to this place called Rest & Relax near the new bus station. Gee..first the old bus station now the new, what a coincident!

The place is nicely decorated but being a week night there weren't many patrons but us and a couple of noisy friends of the boss customers drinking and smoking at the bar. I forgot that its not illegal to smoke inside a pub here so I had to bear it even though I didn't like the smoke.

Bengbeng is an anonymous blogger so I won't be posting his photo here. He's one hell of a nice guy. We met up again a couple of days later for dinner, this time with his very adorable son and later he invited us into his home to meet his wife and do a little blogging. Thank you and your family for your kind hospitality. Be sure to come visit us in Melbourne so we can do the same!

18 comments:

PabloPabla said...

bengbeng my kawan too. And I did have one dose of tian mian gu when I was in Sibu during school days. Nice name, nice taste ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank you pablopabla..
Wuching, a pleasure any time :)

Anonymous said...

ohh bengbeng sibu ppl also? aiya shud meet lar bengbeng

Helen said...

hee hee looks like glue. Sniff can get high or not? lol

Anonymous said...

The tian mian gu looks simple but tempting enough to make me drool.

Anonymous said...

The "tian ming gu" looks a like "shui gao". Does it taste like "shui gao"? Or, does it taste like "wan ton wrapper" since it's only flour? Kkkeke :)

Oh BTW, I have a housemate from Sibu :)

Anonymous said...

Sibu have so many exotic foods one.

clement said...

all sibuan meet during cny la... ha ha.. then is the only time sibu become very grand...

me said...

damn! i'm hungry looking at u eat. i want some. i can imagine it sliding down my throat. mahhhhhhh, wuching bully me!!! *wipes drool dripping from mouth*

Nine3 Nine3 said...

i being reading your visit malaysia post..and i just enjoy it!!

By the way are you being pay by Malaysia Tourist Board ??

kekekekeke..keep up your good post buddy !

Wuching said...

pablopabla: oh..were u a sibu boy?

bengbeng: ur the man!

alex: yes, u 2 should meet up!

helen: lol i'm oredi high liao!

kyels: u should give it a try if u ever had a chance..

pelf: the soup pretty much make up the taste..the 'gu' has no taste.

che-cheh: they're foochow foods thats why u find them different.

clement: aiya, sibu everyday grand la but CNY the peak!

SA: oo..i didn't know that about fungus. thankz

me: hehehehe..i chia u eat la!

nine3nine3: i dun get paid by anyone but i should! glad u like it..:)

Anonymous said...

I haven't had tian mian gu for ages already!

Anonymous said...

wow wow wow.....Sibu instead "food" paradise!

Anonymous said...

HEHEEHE the dirty old coffeshop, or should i say hole in the wall that serves the best tian mian gu in Sibu!! Still as dirty I see and most likely the same frying pan since last time (thus the great flavour) hehehehehe

Wuching said...

neo: time for u to have another..

mspretty: then u should visit also!

QV: hah..u know the place hor! every sibu ppl know that shop wan!

Anonymous said...

tian mian gu.. had that at that place too last Dec if I'm not mistaken when I went to play bowling.. kinda miss it though.. wonder when will I be going there again. :(

Wuching said...

rose: go now!

Anonymous said...

hahaha.. if only i can..

hate this entry somuch.. it makes me hungry :'(