Friday, January 26, 2007

Day 6: Going To Sarikei

Day 6 and just when I thought I could relax a bit after the great weekend we had in Kuching my brother-in-law suggested that we take a trip down to Sarikei and Bintangor. So no rest for the wicked.

The last time I was here we had to take a ferry across the Rajang river on the road to Sarikei. They were still in the process of building a bridge but nowadays the bridge is complete and driving to Sarikei is a breeze!

If you think Sibu is a quiet town then you obviously haven't been to Sarikei. Sarikei is even smaller and even more quiet than Sibu. However Sarikei is the last stop of civilisation before you travel further out the Rajang river and into the South China Sea!

Because of its close proximity to the sea Sarikei is well known for its fresh seafood. So my mother who came with us insisted on buying some fish to take back. Its still a long and hot trip back to Sibu and she wanted to buy fish? We gave in to her and bought the fish packed full of ice before stuffing them in the boot of the car.

At the market we bought some fresh fruits as well like these strange red ones that look like rambutans but locals call them lychees but I don't think they are lychees coz true lychees look different. If you know what they are please share it! They sell for RM4 per kilo.

Terese loves her pineapples and Sarikei is well known for their pineapples as well. Apparently they are the best tasting pineapples in the whole state! I won't argue with that coz they are indeed sweet and delicious. These sold for RM2 each I think.

Before we went back we decided to have some lunch in one of the kopitiams around. My brother-in-law took us to have the best malay chicken rice in town and it was really the best chicken rice I've tasted thus far!

We left Sarikei after lunch and continued our trip to Bintangor which is on the way back to Sibu. This time we decided to use a ferry to cross the river so we can go via a shorter way. My friend's family lives in Bintangor and they have durians in the backyard. Yoohoo!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benghui just read yr Sarikei post and said the chicken rice looks yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Yes!! Sarikei Pineapples is one of the sweetest in town, that's why the town's official logo is the Pineapple...guess u didn't manage to snap that

clement said...

sarikei, full of crabs!!~ ha ha, I still love Sibu more, land of the Kampuas!!~~

Anonymous said...

everything look so 'classic'
:)

Anonymous said...

I think they called that lychee rambutan. There are many in the market recently. I guees it's new breed of rambutan.

Dabido said...

I was going to suggest maybe they cross bred the Lychee and Rambutan, but Irene beat me to it. I'll have to add it to the list of fruit for me to try. I haven't had a good Rambutan in about five years. :-)

Anonymous said...

I like the first photo ... There's this feeling, unexplainable one when I look at that photo.

(:

Anonymous said...

Maybe those are rambutans + lychees! How do they taste?

Wuching said...

beng beng: aww..take him to eat it when u go down to sarikei someday..

QV: i saw it but couldn't be bother getting out of the car coz it was so hot!

clement: sarikei is full of crab but sibu still pwns sarikei!

cely: its a classical town. ;)

irene: is that so? rambutans ay..

dabido: i think u can only find that fruit in sarawak so chances is slim of u eating it if u dun intend to visit sarawak!

SA: it was a good day but hot & sweaty!

kyels: thankz! i like that photo too..

neo: they taste sweet!

Anonymous said...

wuching, those rambutan look-alikes are most likely called pulasan and the insides are very much like a rambutan. more info from wikipedia :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulasan

however, i'm not really a fan of it because the flesh doesnt come off as easily as some rambutans do. they stick to the seed.

Wuching said...

yvy: thankz for clarifying it for me! :)

Anonymous said...

Yvy beat me to the answer. Yup, we called that Pulasan or in hockkien is Putohsan. The fruit is definitely not new as I've been eating them for almost 10 years.

Wuching said...

hijackqueen: that one new to me wor..

Anonymous said...

Dude, do you know what I spent my childhood era in Sarikei?

Got try out their Lo Mee or not?

Wuching said...

kenjj: aiyo..i was only there for 1 morning, no time to try everything ma..next time la!

Anonymous said...

The fruit is called BULASAN..
or Mountain Rambutan
or Wild Rambutan
or Jungle Rambutan.