Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Can He Fix It? Yes He Can!

My whole house is installed with low voltage downlights and the light on top of my computer had a bad transformer and needed a replacement.

I could buy just a transformer for it but what's the point since it's cheaper to buy the whole kit. I got this from Bunnings Warehouse today at $7.90 You can get different colours and with adjustable lamp holder for slightly dearer price.

At the bottom of the box it stated that it must be installed by a registered electrical contractor which I am not. It'll cost me $100 just to get a electrician in to change the transformer for me so do I do the legal thing or do I save myself $100 and do it myself?

The kit comprised of the lamp holder, the transformer, the lamp and cables for lamp connector. I won't be needing the lamp and holder today so I'll keep them as spares.

I unclipped the dodgy downlight and pull the whole thing down from the ceiling and disconnected the transformer from the mains cables with the old downlight.

See the difference? The old transformer is big and heavy like a brick while the new one is small and light as a feather like a USB flash memory stick!

Open up the cover to the input end where I will be connecting the mains power leads to later.

Make sure you switch off your power at the wall before you connect the wires to the input section of the transformer! Put the cover back on once it's done.

Then proceed to connect the output section of the transformer with the connecting wires to the lamp but making sure you have the lamp holder inserted as well. Once they're complete push the whole thing back into the ceiling and clip the lamp holder back on.

Switch on the power and tadaa! We have light so now I don't have to blog in the dark anymore like I did in the last 2 nights. I'm happy that I can fix it myself so I'm going to sing Bob the builder song and you can join me!

~Bob the builder...can he fix it?~
~Bob the builder...yes he can!~


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Bob, glad you didn't get electrical shock!

Anonymous said...

Wah so pandai lah u :P

me said...

yes he can! must be troublesome though....taking all those pics n between each steps *grins*

Pink Cotton said...

LOL!!!!

never trust the instructions on the packaging ho??? kekeke

giggle u r BOB!!! don 4get to wear ur checked shirts now ...

Wuching said...

neo: i dun get electrocuted coz i'm bob the builder & i can do it!

che-cheh: yalor..r u proud of me?

me: no trouble lah, slowly slowly kill 2 birds with 1 stone!

pink cotton: yes, i have many checked shirts! one day i'll camwhore for u!

Simple American said...

Way to go Bob!!!

Wuching said...

SA: bob says thankz!