Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Liquid Gold!

As most of you may already know, Australia is suffering from a serious drought problem and water is so scarce we may have to drink our own pee soon! Well maybe I stretched the truth a little but water is very precious here.

And because of not much rain the ground starts to dry up and this in turn cracks a lot of the old water pipes underground. This is what happened in my street today. Wuah! I thought I live in front of the river or something! There was water gushing down the entire street! What a waste of precious water!

Not wanting to let these precious water go to waste Terese and I decided to collect some for the gardens. We brought out all the buckets and containers we could find to collect all these water! Then I poured the water on my front yard until the whole front yard is saturated but there's still more water. Then I decided to pour the water in my neighbour's front yard also till it was all soaked up but the water kept coming!

So then I decided to carry the water down to my backyard so the plants there can have a good drink as well. I had to use my little trolley to carry buckets of water to and from the backyard coz it's back breaking work carrying them with my bare hands lah!

Aitelyu we kept at it till my gardens are all soaked up, like a heavy downpour of heavy rain had just came through! My plants are loving it and I'm happy too but still the water kept coming. I did call Yarra Valley Water earlier about the burst water mains and they've been fixing the problem while we were collecting all these water. Even the neighbours came out to collect water for their gardens also! At one stage I could see every households on the street collecting water from the street! Good to see that everyone's getting together to save these precious water.

Well it took 3 hours before the problem was finally fixed and by then it was 8.00 pm! I even used my rubbish bin, recycle bin and green bin to collect more water so I can use them for the gardens in the week to come! I never take water for granted anymore, it's liquid gold!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks like fun :) here we r using it like nobody's bzness ...sinful the way sibu ppl take water for granted :)

Myst3 said...

But the water looks filty. If you water the garden using the bin's water, doesn't it make your garden SMELLY?

Robin Wong said...

woww, if we have more people like u the world will be a better place !!! water is more important than gold !!

Anonymous said...

Really or not? I thought Australia is in the middle of the sea? :P

Anonymous said...

Here, raining everyday wor... hahaha, envy or not... :)

Anonymous said...

Good move. That is the right thing to do.

Jonzz said...

Whoaaaa... so much water leh! Can collect so many bins... phew!

Pink Cotton said...

hmm if water is scarce...u ppl still can take bath or not?

:D

Wuching said...

bengbeng: i know..we dun appreciate what we have till its gone.

~myst3~: choy! my bins are clean & dun smell! the water is just a little brown from the dirt!

robin: yes, sometimes i wish the whole world is full of me!

wong: oi! sea water u can drink & use for irrigation onot?

neo: lu mai pien wah! i know it hasn't rain for a while & its stinking hot!

che-cheh: tenkiu! i want a medal!

jonzz: coz sad to see it go to waste mah collect lor!

pink cotton: hehehe..can lah, we're not that desperate yet!

me said...

no one roll in the water and take their bath meh????

Jo said...

woow! You must have built some muscles along the way. So hardworking. So responsible. So good lah you! ;)

Simple American said...

So hard working. But I guess you have to.

When I go to Australia I promise to only drink beer. No showers either. Uh, maybe not.

Wuching said...

me: i was very tempted to bath in the water!

jomel: my muscles coming along nicely..everyday carry water!

SA: oh yes, we got plenty of beer here but no water!

Anonymous said...

*salutes wuching for using the brain God gave him* good move wuching at least the water is not wasted.... :)

Wuching said...

yvy: tenkiu! tenkiu!