Thursday, September 13, 2007

Gardenia in pots

Welcome back to the Tukang Kebun Show. As promised today I'm going to show you how to plant a couple of Gardenia in pots so just sit back and relax.

I have a couple of Kumquat trees in pots outside my front door for many years now and they seem to be going past their use by date, the leaves are always yellowish and the fruits are small so I've decided to replace them with Gardenia instead.

I bought a couple of Gardenia in small containers from Bunnings the other day. These perennial can grow up to 2 meters over time and have white fragrant flowers.

First, filled halfway the pots with good premium potting mix and add some slow release fertilizer like Osmocote. Mix well and get the plants ready.

Take the plants out of their plastic pots, you should find lots of good healthy roots. Tease out the roots a little underneath to help it establish its roots quicker when potted.

Sit the plant in the pot, the top of the root ball should be just below the rim of the pot so that when you back filled with potting mix you still have a bit of space left for water to sit on when you water.

Back fill with more potting mix and add a little bit more slow release fertilizer on the top. Water well and let the water soak right through the whole pot while draining.

So now I two Gardenia guarding my front door that should give off really strong perfumes when they bloom so my visitors will be greeted with a nice smell every time they visit. They are small at the moment but they will soon grow big so I will have to re pot them into bigger pots later. Till next time, happy kebuning!

7 comments:

Serenity said...

you've a green thumb. so envious! hehe...

Anonymous said...

You got durian tree at your garden or not? :)

Eh, what happen to your wuching.com lar? Suspended?!

Anonymous said...

I see weeds...many ohhh hahaha :P

Helen said...

Glad you're back to your gardening series. I love your flowers.

Hey, as for me, I always plant into my garden. That way hor, forgot to water also it won't die... :-P

Anonymous said...

Time to pull off the weeds!

clement said...

gardenia not roti meh? he he, your page suspended la.. is it because not enuf hiao hiao stuff?

Wuching said...

serenity: not really lah, amateur only

neo: my cilaka server's been down since 2 nights ago!

che-cheh: not weed lah, they're daffodils but finish flowering liao

helen: sometimes i plant into ground also but running out of space! :P

hijackqueen: cis! not weed lah!

clement: u so bad! dirty mind!