Tuesday, June 19, 2007

My Miracle Mom: Part III

I got an email from my brother in Singapore where my Mum's been living with. Mum's been complaining about her health and she's just came back from seeing the Oncologist.

The Oncologist doesn't think her problems are caused by cancer. In fact there's no sign of cancer growth in her body now but scan of her brain did detect damage done by the treatments she received before most likely radiotherapy. She has frequent mood swings and gets snappy with no apparent reason. The doctor recommends psychiatrist treatments and medication to control her moods but she thinks she knows better and that's to go back to Sibu where she's happier with more social interaction. But I guarantee she's going to complain again after a few weeks in Sibu and want to move back to Singapore again. There's just no pleasing her, no one knows what to do with her. How do you reason to an old mother who's behavior is that of a child most of the time?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom's the world. :)

Choonie, the Guru said...

Gee... I am sorry for her. I can understand. My mum is getting older and behaves like a child sometimes. There is no pleasing most of the time. She can just hop off from the plane and tell you in the car that she wants to go to another destination soon. She only wants branded stuffs and eats at the expensive restaurants. So 'susah' but we only have one mother in our whole life. By the time when they are no more with us, we will miss them so much. So, enjoy the time we have with them now. If they nag/complain, let it go into the right ear and go out the other ear. hihhihihihi... I learn that from my students liao.

Anonymous said...

Please her in whatever ways. Afterall, when you were younger, were you easy for her to take care ? With all the blessings from above, we should use these to our advantage. Like love, patience, forgiveness, kindness...you only live once. It is a one way street. When it is over, it is over. Whatever that you have now, good or bad, make full use of it. When it is gone, how much crying also cannot bring it back. Remember her smiles. Remember her teachings. Reaching her goodness. Keep that in your heart. Enjoy her while she is here.

5xmom.com said...

I really have nothing constructive to say. But I am sure the good Lord will shelter her and gives all of you kids (hehehe) the patience, wisdom and love to deal with the situation.

Anonymous said...

This is why my uncle does with my Grandma. They hire a maid for my Grandma and whenever she feels like going to Sibu ke, Singapore ke, the maid will be her companion and look after her too. But old ppl is lidat. They get bored here and want to go there. They can't stay put in one place. Just do things to pleased them. Not a difficult thing to do, right?

Wuching said...

thank you all for your support!

JamyTan said...

Wuching,
I understand how u feel cos I work with old people. Like this like that also cannot please one.

Best take is let her do whatever she likes, 6mths Sibu, 6mths Singapore if she wants.

My dad was diagnosed with brain tumor, he undergone lots of radiation, even cyberknife, now become like a child. Very sad, a top notch biz man so smart become like a child. Now we are role reverse, he is our child now :)-.